19 April 2009

Spring Dreams

So we got a taste of the warmer weather to come this past weekend. It was unseasonably warm around here (20C) and I didn't have to wear a jacket or socks! I even got a little bit of a tan on my arms yesterday. Yay! Unfortunately we've been brought back to reality and we're back to "seasonal" temperatures (7C). I did a tiny bit of yard work today and I had to wear a sweater, but in the sun it was still nice.

I had the busiest day since my surgery yesterday (work really doesn't count). I went for a walk with My Reality in the morning and then I went to S.tarbucks with Duck in the afternoon. Then Mr. JB and I went to the grocery store armed with my list of things that I have to eat in my post-endo/anti-inflammatory diet world. I never thought that I would ever buy a loaf of bread for $6, but I did! I do have to say that I'm so glad that it is so much easier to find food alternatives. Since I've suffered from allergies my entire life, I know how hard it is to find things to eat! Well, we spent $206 on groceries and we didn't even get any produce because we got our organic fruits and veggies delivery on Friday! I almost had a heart attack.

But I guess the inflated price is worth the extra health benefits. I had a rice cake with almond butter this morning for breakfast and it was delicious AND I was pain free! It's going to take a while to eliminate the gluten, refined sugars and all the other goodies that I love. It's especially tough since Mr. JB is the main cook of the household and he can eat whatever he wants! I have to keep repeating the word moderation in my head. I know that I can't eliminate things cold turkey over night, but at least I'm taking the steps towards a healthier diet.

My first two days back at work were really good for my mental state. The kids were so excited to see me. Honestly, I will never have a low self-esteem being a grade one teacher! Each student gave me a hug when they came into the room and their faces lit up when they saw me. I ask the kids how they are every morning during our circle routine and all of them said that they were happy to see me back. In seven years of teaching I have never had such a reception!

I explained to the kids that I was sick in my belly and that the doctor told me that I had to stay in bed until I was better. One little boy asked me if I vomited (I did, once, before my surgery because I was so nervous and hungry!) and when I said yes the entire class realized how sick I was. Although I'm sure that I could've used the two days at home, I'm so glad that I went back early. By Friday afternoon I was feeling like my old self and I was moving around without any pain (or thoughts of my next surgery).

So even though the local forecast is calling for rain and cooler weather, I'm feeling more optimistic. I'm actually looking forward to having a break from TTC, especially having a break from the period pain! I'm thinking of trying spinning up until my surgery to counteract the effects of L.upron and training for the local dragon boat race is going to start soon. I'm going to back to yoga class this week, although I will be starting off with the gentler classes until I'm feeling 100%.

I'm amazed at how much better I'm doing. I just hope that this feeling is here to stay, at least for a little while.

6 comments:

  1. Your feet are cute and I wish I had your naturally tan legs! Dang it!

    Glad you are eating healthier now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are feeling and eating healthy! Yippee!!

    I lol'd at the kids realizing you were "really sick" when you said you had vomited. Haha- - such a point of reference for 6 year olds!

    Mmmm, almond butter. I think I'll have some of that now! On a multi-grain pita!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear that your kids, the weather, and yoga are starting to lift your spirits. You're often in my thoughts.

    Almond butter rules! I'm sure you'll find some other yummy stuff to enjoy, and I hope it continues to feel good. Crazy, how much healthy food costs, no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw...your kids are precious. (It's funny how they're SO naturally caring about illness. That fades so much by adulthood!)

    I'm very impressed with your healthy diet. I haven't been prescribed one yet myself, but I've totally rebelled even against the idea. Kudos for the self-discipline and good sense to take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Organic fruit and veggie delivery? Can you tell me more?

    When you are ready for a crash course in corn flour, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear your feeling great and enjoying the Spring weather. Your classroom children sound so sweet :) What a nice welcome back!
    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete