27 April 2009

It pays to be nice

So I'm finally done filing our taxes. Thank God. I spent my entire prep time (45 minutes) on the phone with R.evenue Canada. I had to try six different phone numbers until I got a live person on the other end of the line! I honestly believe that my government makes it purposefully difficult for individuals to complete their income tax on their own. I'm sure there's some sort of conspiracy, but I'm not going to get into that here.

The best part of finishing our returns is that we're getting a pretty good refund. Woohoo! I know it's a bad thing to spend money before I get it but our window coverings are in a sad state (we didn't replace them when we moved in because we couldn't afford it!) and I think that we can finally afford to replace them! Yay! I'm going to shop around for quotes as soon as I feel better. Just imagining the ugly horizontal blinds in our bedroom gone from our lives makes me feel so much better!

Anyhow, when I was finishing up our return I got to the part in the program where I had to pay. When the price came up it was different from the one that was quoted by my bank. So I called up the customer service people to ask what I was doing wrong and I was transferred to a manager. The very nice man named Wayne explained to me that the special had ended at the end of March and he told me where to look on the internet. So I apologized and said that it was my fault for procrastinating and he said to me, "Hold on." So I did. Then he came back on the line and said, "Well Ms. JB since you were so nice I just credited your bank account $12.85 which is the price of your service charge."

I was completely floored. Wayne went on to tell me that he was so surprised at how nice I was being on the phone and that he was impressed that I took full responsibility. I'm guessing that he gets yelled at a lot. So I told him that I was a grade one teacher and that I practice what I preach. I also told him that I've banked with his company since I was 12 years old and that I've always been 100% happy with how they treat me. I do have to say that getting a $12.85 credit totally made my night!

I declined the baby shower invite last night. I will be sending a gift, but Mr. JB is going to drop it off at my old school. I just can't handle seeing all the bellies at my old school! I still haven't e-mailed my newly preggo girlfriend, but there's only so much a girl can do in an evening!

I'm so glad I figured out why my moods have been so crazy! I've been on some sort of progesterone supplement since June 2008 and going without is sending my hormones into a frenzy! Sew I totally get what you mean now!!! I can only imagine what we have in store when I go on the L.upron!

I definitely think that my husband and my class are going to need lots and lots of prayers!!!!

p.s. A prayer request:

A retired teacher from my school (who now regularly supply teaches at my school) needs some prayers. Her daughter is supposed to get married in Mexico at the end of May and she is in an absolute panic about this Swine Flu business. She doesn't know if they can move the wedding on such short notice and she also doesn't know if the Canadian government is going to let them even go. She also just found out that her maid of honour is not allowed to travel because of complications with her pregnancy. Please pray that everything works out for her. I could not imagine having to deal with this sort of stress before my wedding!

3 comments:

  1. I know that it is hard to deal with hormone flucuations and this is the only bit of assvice I have, i made a deal with Mr. DUck if I was ever being unreasonable, he would have to tell me that I was not being myself. I know, this takes a lot of trust in your husband, but, it really has helped me and I know have a bit more of awareness of what is actually my feelings and what is hormonal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for a tax refund and for the bank being so nice, since you were so nice. It's like Pay It Forward.

    Like I said yesterday, hormonal detox is really hard to deal with and to sometimes even notice. I know I have a hard time realizing I'm being extra moody or jumping down Cole's throat, but he tries his hardest not to get mad, but to tell me I'm attacking him and not being myself.

    I'm praying for your friend's daughter's wedding. I hope all works out well in the end.

    ReplyDelete