10 April 2009

Small victories

I'm physically feeling a lot better today. I got out of bed and got dressed all by myself this morning! Woohoo! My brother-in-law drove in from Montreal last night so I didn't want to call Mr. JB from the living room to help me and I was feeling a lot more energetic this morning. I'm still finding bending difficult, but now that the tape is off of my belly button incision it is much easier to bend.

I almost threw up yesterday when I took off the bandage! I tried to get it off in the shower but since I can't see without my glasses I had to wait until I was done. I actually burst into tears when I saw how scary it looked inside my formerly cute belly button! What am I going to do when I have the laparotomy in a few months????? Honestly, just the thought of being opened up just scares the living daylights out of me. Now how am I going to deal with looking at that??

Today being Good Friday has been a quiet day around our house. Mr. JB went to church but I didn't feel up to it. I thought that I could attend the Stations of the Cross this evening, but I just don't have the energy. Thank God that we have S.alt and L.ight on TV! I really hope that I feel up to going to mass on Easter Sunday. I know that I shouldn't feel guilty since I have a valid reason, but I can't remember missing mass during Holy Week!

I'm hoping that I'll be able to remove the last bandage today without feeling sick to my stomach. There are only two bandages rather than four and it's a little harder to see than the stitches in my belly button. And perhaps I'll go outside tomorrow -- I haven't been out of my house since coming home on Tuesday.

I'm on the road to feeling better, mentally and physically. I only got weepy once today which is a big improvement from yesterday. Baby steps, right?

6 comments:

  1. Baby steps are good! I prayed for you during the consecration last night and again duing services today. Yes, you do have a valid reason to miss Mass if you're not up to it. I remember when I had my gallbladder out that I tried to go back to Mass too soon. Sitting on the hard wooden benches at my parish was very different from sitting on my sofa with my feet propped up. Slow and steady... Still praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a laparotomy scar, it's big, but not noticable (the staples totally creaped me out). Hope they can do a laproscopic surgery. take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby steps :) Double entendre there!
    Luckily, the laparotomy scar is hidden under bathing suits and underwear... but I'm not gonna lie, it is ugly. I think with ointment you should be able to get rid of it, but I had a slight reaction to the stitches (those "meltable" ones that go in a zigzag), so I don't think mine's ever going away :(
    I'm so glad you're feeling better today. God Bless, and have a beautiful Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that each day is getting better.

    If you make it to church on Sunday, you make it. If you don't, don't feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How are you feeling today?

    Just so you know, my belly button looks relatively normal - finally :)

    Just think of them as battle scars - it's worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete