28 July 2009

A strange question

My surgery is a week from today and I'm surprisingly feeling zen about it. Perhaps it's because I've started the massive job of cleaning out my room of shame. I've talked about my room of shame before (see this post, if you're interested).

The very first time we visited our house I thought that this room would be our nursery. When I first moved into our home (I lived alone in our house for three months until we got married), the office (a.k.a. room of shame) was nicely organized and I was actually able to work in there. As our journey in the world of infertility continued, the room started to become more and more of a wreck. We started dumping stuff in the office whenever we had guests come over. I would put stuff that I just didn't feel like dealing with in the room. And in preparation for the basement reno, Mr. JB jammed as much stuff as he could in there.

So now, I've decided that since the rest of my house is looking pretty darn good (with the exception of my scary linen closet, I have to save that job for when I'm feeling well enough after my surgery), I knew that I couldn't put it off any longer.

I have found some really old paperwork that should've been shredded a LONG time ago. Honestly, did I really need to save electrical bills from 2004? Or pay stubs from my first year of teaching?

I still have hours of work left to do, but I had a strange question for all of you.

I think that I'm pretty prepared for my surgery. I've done my research. I've asked my questions. I even bought cute pyjamas for the hospital. I even booked my cleaning lady to make sure that my house is sparkling clean for when I get home.

So my dear friends, I would like to know do you have any inspirational songs that you can suggest for me? I figure that I will have a lot of time to listen to my i.Pod while in the hospital. I don't know if I'll have the energy to read and there's only so much television that I can watch! Also, do any of you have recommendations of audio books? I've never listened to one before, but I think that I should have some entertainment options.

I'm a high energy person, so I think that my recovery will be difficult for me. I've already suspended my yoga membership for the month of August since I know that I won't be able to do classes until school starts.

I realize that I probably will be too uncomfortable to want to do much, but I'm a type A planner. I want to have as many contingency plans possible!

Thanks in advance!

12 comments:

  1. This may sound ridiculous, but my brother is a runner. One day before a big run I overheard the music coming from his Ipod and this was playing: Best Of You by the Foo Fighters. It makes me feel like I can beat this, that and the Rocky theme (Eye of the Tiger). A kind of
    "Watch your back endo." song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya - will you be in overnight?! For some reason I thought it was a laproscopy day sugery? I recommend sleeping - and a great book for waiting pre-surgery - best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been rocking out to Lady Antebellum lately. Yes, rocking out to a country band. :) One Day You Will by them is my theme song these days. Stand Back Up by Sugarland is a pretty good "take that IF" song, too.

    I "read" The Nanny Diaries on audio CD. The voice was excellent, and I really enjoyed it. I watched the movie a few months ago, and I could still hear the narrator's voice.

    Sounds like you're all set!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A tip - think about your underwear. The incision will sore and if your undies are too high cut in the legs, they will cut into the incision. If they are too low - like bikinis, they will hurt, too. I recommend boy short or granny panties. The mesh ones they give you in the hospital are ok, but I find that they dig in after a while and make my skin raw.

    I have a song recommendation. Believe by Josh Groban. Yes, it is a Christmas song, but it helped get me through so much of this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have another one...Stand by Rascal Flats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Innocence Mission's whole CD titled Christ Is My Hope. They are a bit folksy but beautiful voices!...and this is their only religious CD. I love it!!! It is truly inspirational....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blessed be the Name - Tree 63 I think. And also anything by Jennifer Knapp and Rich Mullins (Except Awesome God - if I never hear that song again I'd be just fine with it!)

    Oh and by the way Jellybelly. My second surgery after the lupron was WAY easier than the first surgery when they didn't do anything. And you're almost done! I'm so happy for you! Let's get it over with! :) Feel free to call me if you want to talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been taking a lot of comfort in Bach's cantatas of late--and man, did that guy know how to make faith and redemption sing! I'd recommend Thomas Quasthof's performances of "Ich habe genug" (I have enough). It reminds me of all that I've been given. As you're a yogini, do you like DJ Cheb i Sabbah? Maha Maya and Shri Durga are great listens, with some very gentle beats that soothe.

    Hey, we should introduce your vintage electric bills to my 2001 gas bills. I'm sure they'd have a lot to talk about.

    Preparing for this will make you more comfortable. Maybe make sure Mr. JB has some yummy treats he can bring you once you're through the worst of post-op recovery? Some lavender oil (if you like it) for a bit of relaxing aromatherapy?

    Did I mention I'm a hippy? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually have pretty "crappy" music in my ipod because I use it for when I work out. So, can't help you there. And, I don't read a whole lot, so, yeah. My comment is worthless. Haha! I just wanted to say I'm sending wonderful thoughts your way! How long will you be in the hospital?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so awesome that you've been cleaning out your spare room and getting it organized!

    Hmm, I can't think of any inspirational music, I tend to like alternative, which can sometimes be a downer. I really like the Sookie Stackhouse book series, but I'm not sure if you like vampire books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Get the Ted Talks, especially if you have video, and honestly, anything on podcast is great. They have every subject under the sun I think.

    Also, if there is anything you've been wanting to learn about, i.tunes university has some unbelievable stuff (like Harvard lectures). and for the best songs for you, ask the Genius bar. They suggest things based on what you already have and like, and it's amazingly bang on.

    Have you thought about taking your laptop? I bet they have wifi free and I after my laps depending on when I got painkillers etc I ended up feeling worse or better at odd hours of the day and night, when maybe I couldn't find anything on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here are some inspiring songs:

    (1) Beautiful Day (U2)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6FwEJwwYcQ

    (2) I can see clearly now (Jimmy Cliff)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIqLsGT2wbQ

    (3) Somewhere only we know (Keane)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmXY2MSrguE (I listened to this like 100 times in the hospital)

    (4) Loose Yourself (Eminem)
    http://www.goal-setting-college.com/go/looseyourself

    (5) Only Time (Enya)
    http://www.goal-setting-college.com/go/onlytime

    And here are some plain-old high energy songs (I "pole danced" to some of these in my hospital room when I was able to):

    (1) Get the party started (Pink)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDLSkDTV3-Q

    (2) Breakin' Dishes (Rihanna)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6VNAOHOV3U

    (3) Boom Boom Pow (black eyed peas)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtGlHPFCH8A

    (4) Ray of Light (madonna)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F444CELomo
    .nsf/stream/madonna-ray-of-light

    (5) Pump It (black eyed peas)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDfKCzMuLMc


    I have been looking all over for my David Sedaris audio books, but realized that I lent them to my parents. They're coming to town this weekend, and if they can bring the CDs, maybe I can ship them to you. They are pretty hilarious and helped me when I was recovering from hospital stuff.

    ReplyDelete