15 July 2009

Signs


I've been a bad blogger. I've also been a bad blog commenter.

But I have an explanation, so bear with me.

So our time at the cottage was great. Although they did have satellite internet on the island, I abstained until the day we left. It was great to be unplugged for a few days.

Unfortunately (and I warn all of you that I am about to sound incredibly selfish and self-centered), my best friend told me that she's pregnant. With her third.

Don't worry I was expecting the announcement sooner rather than later. I've known since before she was married that she wanted to have three kids (well actually four, but her husband doesn't know about the fourth Christmas stocking that she bought when she pregnant with her first child). I knew that she was cleaning out their fourth bedroom and I knew that she wanted her kids to be evenly spaced out (her daughter will be 6 in November and her son turned 3 in May). So when Mr. JB offered her a beer on our second day on the island and she refused, I knew that she was going to break me the news.

She cried. So did I. And she apologized which made me feel worse. I don't want to be pitied because of my infertility. I also don't want my best friend to feel guilty for being so damn fertile. But I also felt so angry that it comes so easy for her.

So instead of swimming across to shore with my car keys I shook off the tears and made myself enjoy the rest of our stay. The news of the baby was still at the back of my mind, but I went into robot infertile mode and did all of the required cottage-y activities. There was board game playing, kayaking, lounging and eating.

And I haven't felt so damn barren in my life.

I was relieved to get back to our house for many reasons -- I hate outhouses and I hate bugs even more.

We have been doing a lot of socializing with fertiles lately. We went to a barbecue at a high school friend of Mr. JB's and EVERYONE had kids. Even the one infertile that was at the party had a baby! Then Monday night we went to a barbecue and there were a lot of kids in attendance. We figure that one of the other couples is struggling with IF since they've been married for 6 years and she's made a comment about it to Mr. JB in the past.

I am so sick of hanging out with other people's children.

So today I had to see my surgeon and fill in some paperwork for my surgery. I asked Dr. I about my recovery and chances of conceiving post-surgery but he didn't want to say anything until afterwards. I know I wanted him to say, "Of course you'll be able to have children JellyBelly! How silly to even worry!" But life doesn't work that way.

I did ask him about what kind of stage IV endo I had and he did say that it was, "Stage IV IV" but he had seen worse. He also said that he has booked my surgery time for up to three hours but he won't know how long it will take until he sees how much the L.upron has done for the inflammation. I really hope that my theory of my increasing hot flashes correlating to the amount that the endo is calming down works!

After our doctor's appointment Mr. JB and I went to I.kea to get stuff for the new basement. It seems like I punctuate any sort of scary diagnoses and doctor's visits with visits to I.kea. After I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis I went to I.kea. My first big outing after my first ovarian cyst ruptured was to I.kea. There's something about the store that makes me happy, I don't know what it is, but it just does. It was also great that Mr. JB didn't complain one bit during our trip. I guess the promise of hot dogs after checking out was enough!

On our way home I broke down. There were so many pregnant women at I.kea and I was just so tired and hungry. I started to cry in the car and Mr. JB tried to console me the best that he could. His unwavering faith that we will have a biological child just amazes me. I don't trust my body at all, but he tells me every day that we will be parents. I wish I could believe him with my whole heart.

We stopped at the library on our way home -- have I mentioned how much I love the library? We've gone at least twice a week since our vacation has started. Forget about the big box book stores! Our library rocks! -- and I checked Sew's blog to get the wonderful news. I do have to admit that I was jealous for about 20 seconds. Then I gave my head a shake and I decided that I'm going to take it as a sign. I rejoice when a fellow infertile blogger gets her BFP! I prayed as we left the doctor's office that God would give us a sign that this surgery is something that will work, and here it is. So instead of the horrible feeling of dread that I felt when I got my bf's news, my heart is full of joy at the miracle that is growing inside of our dear Sew.

So no more avoiding the internet. And I promise that I will catch up on the blog commenting. I have to work through these feelings because I don't want to be weighed down during my surgery.

Btw, I found the cutest red rubber gloves at I.kea today. Have I mentioned that my favourite colour is red? Do I count that as a sign to?

You be the judge! ;)

11 comments:

  1. i am feeling the same thing lately about being pitied for my infertility - when my brother in law announced he and his wife were pregnant, everyone was of course happy for them but then sad for us. there are other issues with their pregnancy timing in general, but i just hate thinking that when they should have had some excitement everyone's second thought was us. the fact that we are thought of is nice and all but really...it made me feel like debbie downer.

    the picture of you on the water makes me want to take vacation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that pic of you.

    You know, sometimes, I think you just have to believe. And sometimes, it does all work out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my opinion, you should be as hopeful as ever.

    You are about to fix the problem, remove the obstacle and start over.

    Yay!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it is good that he didn't say that it was the worst evah (which trust me you do not want to hear). When my doctor told me he had seen one case as bad, and that person was in their 40s - I was 29. It was not good.

    Come hang out with us - no babies - just a dog here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally relate to that sinking feeling when you find out your close friend is preggo. Totally. And I can also relate to being tired of hanging around other people's kids. I also get the "robot infertible mode", because I have been there too.

    Your husband is so great. Sometimes it is hard to keep the faith, and that is where others come in - your supportive hubbie and fellow bloggers. I think the fact that Sew got a BFP can only be taken as a good sign :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I'm so glad you're back! I've missed your posts!

    I LOVE the pic!!

    I really connected with the term "robot infertile mode." I'd never thought of it in quite those terms but that's the way I felt all weekend at the hospital.

    I can't wait to see pics of your basement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my dear Jelly Belly! I just want to give you a huge hug and a treat (one that you can eat and enjoy). I do hope that the peace and joy you felt is a sign that things will turn around and that soon you'll be feeling better and get your heart's desire.

    Pity, even from the kindest, most well-meaning people, deprives us of our power in some ways.

    I love red, too! Red clothing, red housewares...

    I also love our library. Our librarians are so cool that I often just pick up a couple books from the Staff Picks shelf. I have yet to be disappointed--and have discovered all sorts of new and interesting things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you're back. I'm glad that your surgery is soon and that you'll get the relief and healing you need.

    I definitely understand the different reaction to pregnancy. It's a lot easy to see a infertile become pregnant than a newlywed or a fertile. Sew (and other pregnant infertiles like And Not By Sight) give us hope that it might be us one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. robot infertile mode - dude, this is so spot on.
    I hate that infertility makes me feel like crap which makes my friends feel like crap, which in turn makes me feel like crap. It's an endless shit cycle.
    I want to come on vacation with you - that floating chair with cupholder and book looks like heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robot infertile mode - I haz it.

    And I, too, am very glad you're back. I know everyone wants to trade, and after this surgery, it seems likely you will. But until you do, there will always be a place for you - on our team.

    ReplyDelete