1 July 2009

Happy Birthday Canada


I would consider myself a pretty patriotic person. I would also say that my husband is as well -- I try not to get too annoyed at his maple leaf tattoo on his back since he got it WAY before he met me. I really can't fault the guy too much since his little brother, the Jesuit, has a matching one on his foot!

We did check out the local festivities this afternoon in an attempt to escape the noxious fumes from Mr. JB's furniture staining project in our garage. We got some yummy kettle corn and walked around. I tried not to notice all of the pregnant women and babies, but it seemed like reminders of my barrenness were EVERYWHERE! I really can't think of anything cuter than a little kid in red and white waving a Canadian flag.

Argh.

So our basement is 95% done. The carpet was installed on Monday, although three and a half hours late. I know that I shouldn't be too upset since we're already three weeks behind schedule, but I'm so incredibly impatient! The carpet installer forgot the metal thingers for the doorways so he has to return on Saturday. It looks amazing, but the new carpet smell is driving me bonkers!

Before L.upron I had a sensitive sense of smell, but now I feel like a bloodhound! I could smell things a mile away! It doesn't help in the headache department since strong smells can be a migraine trigger for me. I think that when I vacuum tomorrow that I'm going to fashion some sort of mask for myself so I don't have to smell the chemical funkiness of my basement.

So in honour of my beloved Canada I took a well-deserved break. I didn't do much today and my house remains a disaster area. And at this point I really don't care. Mr. JB's car has been overheating (Why does it seem like when we have no money that things keep breaking down????) so I'll be stuck at home tomorrow waiting for the thermostat guy while he takes my car to his school. I really hope that we don't have to replace our air conditioning! Not only are my thoughts all jumbled, but my body is just exhausted.

I usually spend the first couple of weeks of my summer vacation trying to de-tox from being so crazy busy during the school year. I have the added pressure of knowing that I only have a month before my surgery. I would like to have my house all organized and put away before the end of the month AND have as much fun as I can. Quite the conundrum.

So one more month. One more month of the crazy L.upron. One more month of having all this endo and assorted stuff growing inside of me. This isn't about baby-making folks (so I keep telling myself).

I can't wait to have my body back.

p.s. K from AYWH mentioned something about counting sleeps as a Canadian-ism in one of her blog comments last week. I don't know if it is, but I started counting sleeps when I was a camp counsellor many moons ago. I think I stole it from one of the kiddies, but I'm not sure.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if it's a Canadianism... maybe just a northern thing, because the first time I heard it was when I was living in Massachusetts. May have originated in Canada and trickled down to the New England states. Apparently hasn't made its way down to the mid-Atlantic or beyond, yet :)

    Happy Birthday, Canada!! I thoroughly enjoyed dancing in cages at your Montreal clubs as a freshman in college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only one more month left of lupron - you're almost there! I remember my months on lupron, I was in constant ready-mode for hot flashes, always bracing myself.

    I know what you mean about preggos everywhere - they always seem to come out for these types of events...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm Canadian, and I count sleeps too.
    I did nothing at all for Canada Day though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's too funny--I didn't think "counting sleeps" was a Canadianism, but when I thought about it, the last person I heard say it was a friend of ours . . . who's Canadian.

    ReplyDelete