25 June 2009

Riveted

So I thought that I would be productive this evening. We had our staff party and it finished up pretty early. I wanted to rush home because my brother-in-law is arriving tonight and my house is an absolute disaster. But instead of dusting and tidying up I turned on the TV to see the news that Michael Jackson has passed away.

Like many of you, I'm sure, I owned T.hriller. I had the red polyester jacket with the strange flappy things on the shoulders. I remember watching his music videos in secret (I wasn't allowed to watch music videos as a kid because my dad said that, "Music is for listening, not watching."). But in the recent past I relegated him in the crazy file of celebrities that I used to like. He seldom crossed my radar, although when I visited Monaco a few years ago there were a bunch of crazy fans that were camped out what supposedly was his hotel room. My girlfriend and I both rolled our eyes and continued our visit.

I'm sad, which really shocks me. It could be drug related -- I have not been in control of my emotions at all since the L.upron has kicked in. At my staff party this evening I had to fight back tears at the strangest times. Honestly, who gets teary when the custodian gets his end of the year gift?

Apparently me.

So I have one more sleep to go. I got quite a bit done today, despite the craziness of my class. I have been trying to keep them to their routine as best I can, but I just have no more energy to make stuff up to do! It's also tough to tidy up while they're all underfoot! My classroom is going to be used for summer school and I have to get everything put away before July 6th. I also want to get some stuff ready for the first week of school, but I'm thinking that I won't get to it. I've already decided to go in next week to finish up room. Not only will I be able to wear a tank top and shorts, there won't be any kids to distract me!!!

The thermostat people didn't call today. I'm trying my best to keep cool with one little oscillating fan. I am so glad that I cut my hair short! I don't know what I would do if I still had long hair in this weather! I can totally understand why my mother completely changed personalities when she started menopause! These hot flashes and lack of estrogen have caused me to be completely crazy and unbalanced! Now that I've had a taste of my post-period life I would almost choose having the crazy cramps that endo brings.

Or maybe not.

I'm going to find some ice packs. Maybe that'll keep me cool.

Stupid hot flashes.

11 comments:

  1. The MJ thing is so surreal - it's been a hell of a day and seeing such an icon pass away just made me feel like my head was wrapped in bubble wrap or something. I mean, he turned into such a strange caricature, but he still seemed so sad.
    I hope you find some cold cold air soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I came across your post through Sew's blog :) Im use the Napro Centre in Toronto as well!
    If you want to email me Id love to share our story with you..
    jc_saves@hotmail.com
    Peace,
    jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me laugh! I LOVE that you got teary when the custodian got his gift.. that's awesome! And totally something I would find myself doing. And I loved what your dad used to say about videos!

    And is saying you have "sleeps" left a Canadian thing? I've never heard that before and I had to really think about it in the context of your post the other day, but I finally figured out what it meant! Haha!

    Anyways, I hope you're keeping cool. And have fun with your brother-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it is the Lupron making you emtional. But you sure have some great stories to go with it :) I can't believe you had a red leather jacket like MJ's. That is just too cute! You crack me up!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you know for how long I begged for the Bad cassette! OMG! I still remember getting that on my birthday to this day! :) Thank God my Dad insisted I have that! I loved it, loved it, loved it!

    I agree with FT. You have some great stories to tell on this stuff. I wish it wasn't so hard on you! I can't wait, it's your last day!

    You sound like you work your A$$ off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're almost done!!!! Yay!!!

    I was shocked too when I heard the news. In fact, I was on the phone with AYWH when I first heard it and only one news station had reported it.

    So surreal, you know?

    I am sorry you are enduring all these hot flashes. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last Day!! YAY!! You made it!!

    So sad about MJ. Such talent wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here it is!! Your last day and you made it!!

    The MJ thing is surreal and sad. He was so talented and his life ended up a tragic story.

    I cry at EVERYTHING without drugs so don't feel bad... at least you have an excuse. Actually just thinking of the end of the school year makes me think of the end of the movie "Sin.g" and now I'm tearing up.... see I told you!

    Oh, I keep meaning to tell you, I [heart] castor oil packs!! I finally started them about a week and a half ago and OMG! they work so well!! I wished I'd gotten off my butt and started them sooner! Of course they would be a miserable experience if my AC was broken. Hang in there. I'm praying that yours is fixed ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Popsicles! They saved my sanity last week, when our thermostat blew out. But I hope the A/C kicks on soon for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sorry the hotflashes are continuing, ugh - stupid hot flashes!!

    So surreal about MJ - I was shocked and sad too. He was such a part of our youth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am cracking up at the thought of you choking back tears as the custodian got his end-of-year gift... lmao!!

    But I know all about those drug-induced emotions, I've definately had plenty of my own :)

    We're going to have to do the Thriller dance on the BW weekend!! Haha!

    ReplyDelete