12 May 2009

Reprieve - Update with fiddlehead photo

We have one more day.

Thank God.

Our contractor has to finish another job tomorrow and he called to let me know that he can't come until Thursday. Normally I would be mighty peeved that we've been pushed back another day, but at this point I'm too exhausted to do any more work.

Mr. JB was at a baseball game tonight with his dad (he scored some awesome seats behind home plate, unfortunately his team lost), so I was put in charge of finishing up the last bits in the basement. I think that with two of us tomorrow night that we'll be able to get the last of the stuff out and into our guest room.

I've decided on a few of things to get me through this reno:

1) I have to accept that my house is going to be out of sorts for the next while. If basement things are in the living room it's not the end of the world. I refuse, however, to put stuff in our bedroom. I need one safe haven from the chaos!

2) I am going to focus on the finished product and not the craziness that the actual work is going to cause. I really should take this advice when thinking about baby-making.

3) I know that the job is going to go over-budget. It's only money. We're both gainfully employed and the work is going to only increase the value of our home. Therapeutic shopping is not good anyway. Building equity is much, much better.

4) If I feel like I'm losing my mind it's because of the L.upron. I'm not actually crazy. Does this one really have to do with home renovations?

I think that my teaching partner has figured out that I don't like her. She's been really snippy with me and she popped into my classroom today and was all snarly-faced. Perhaps she was shocked that I had my class engaged in a lesson and I wasn't yelling at them. Perhaps she's jealous that I have actually made friends with the other teachers on staff. How many more weeks until school is over?

Lastly, my father-in-law's girlfriend called me this evening to see how I was feeling -- six weeks after my surgery, but that's besides the point. I've mentioned before that I really don't like her. She's so mean to my FIL and she's constantly yelling at us. I know that I'm biased since I love my FIL so much and I see that he's so good to her, but she's so ungrateful. I'm assuming that she's trying to make amends of some sort because she's convinced that she has the beginnings of Alzheimer's. I have a few theories about what is actually wrong with her, but I won't elaborate too much except to say that she drinks too much and she's also depressed. I hope that she doesn't have Alzheimer's, that would be heartless, but I do think that their relationship needs to end for both their sakes.

I have to go to bed. Again, so exhausted. Stupid L.upron.

p.s. I had fiddleheads tonight for the first time tonight. How tasty!!!

p.p.s. I caught a kid stealing today. It's the second incident in two weeks. The little boy looked at me in the eye and lied to me three times! His poor mother started to cry when I told her what happened. I'm teaching them how to say the rosary tomorrow, hopefully it will help the kids in my class to be better behaved!

10 comments:

  1. Lol-have fun teaching the rosary. How old are they?

    I hate renos! Last year, right after my first lap we had a flood in our master bedroom and both baths. We finally got everything remodled and then we discovered mold in the walls right before the last repair. After fighting with insurance for months, we finally got everything done. We were out of our master bedroom from apr-end of oct!!! It was insane! We are still some dishelved; slowly but surely getting things done.

    Good luck and I hope it goes by quickly for u!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally disagree about therapeutic shopping. It's just a matter of channeling the madness into harmless activities. If I really must shop and have no reasonable outlet, I get my groceries a day or so early. But if you live in a normal place (i.e., not northern Virginia), you can take ten dollars, go to a thrift store, and come back with something you'd have bought new anyway for more. OK, that's me. I sympathize about the rest of the insanity, though. And I'm really sorry to hear about your student :(. So much better if HE had cried!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lupron plus reno? You are so brave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The safe, stuff-free haven strategy is a good one. It worked for me, though my chaos tolerance has had to increase, as my hubby has a, shall we say, less tidy approach to objects and rooms. :) The things we do for love!

    The reno sounds totally worth it. I can't wait to hear more about the transformation.

    Get some rest, JB! Stupid Lupron!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fiddleheads come from a particular type of fern plant. i believe that they're native to newfoundland (one of the atlantic provinces). they look like the curled end of a violin hence the name. they taste kind of like a cross between green beans and asparagus. so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I have ever had fiddleheads. Must try while they are still in season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. not scary, just yummy! even my non-veggie eating hubby says they're good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck on the reno! I've have heard fiddleheads are good, will have to try some!

    ReplyDelete