4 May 2009

Relief, mostly

I don't know if my cramps of death are actually worse this month because I know how bad the business in my ladyparts are, or if my periods is especially painful. I've spent the better part of two days in bed with a heating pad and on the way to the doctor I had to bring my magic bag (an oatmeal bag that I can heat in the microwave) for my belly.

I started my day with a massage from my awesome RMT. Honestly, this woman has magic hands. I've been suffering with some pretty bad headaches lately and she really worked out the kinks in my shoulders and my face. I absolutely love getting face massages! During my massage she mentioned that a kid in her son's class was going to be in the French Immersion program at my school in September. My RMT told her that she knew one of the teachers and the mom told her how much she loved me! I have no idea who this woman is, but I guess I made quite the impression at the parent information night.

My afternoon was pretty busy. We went to Dr. T, my Napro doctor, first. The wait was pretty long and I was nervous about being late for my appointment with my surgeon. But the wait was definitely worth it. She was very sympathetic about my diagnosis (apparently she doesn't have too many patients with stage 4 endo!) and she said right away that the L.upron was the way to go. I felt so relieved that I almost cried. She also told us about a patient that was on L.upron before her second surgery and that she successfully conceived. I knew that I could trust Dr. I's recommendations, but it was great to hear that she agreed 100%. Dr. T also said that I could take a break from charting since I won't be getting a period anyway. Woohoo!

Next we saw Dr. I, who by the way has the strangest waiting room atmosphere ever! The waiting room radio was blasting strange dance music, the patients that were waiting were so loud and the receptionist was wearing a N.ike visor! Just bizarre. I'm so glad that Dr. I is so normal in comparison!

So when we finally got in to see him he asked me about my surgery. Mr. JB thinks that he was checking to see how much I processed post-op, I think that he plays "absent-minded professor" as part of his doctor schtick. Anyhow, he looked at his surgery schedule and he initially wanted to book me for the end of August. I reminded him that I was a teacher and that I really wanted to have my surgery earlier in the month so I could start the year off with the kiddies. He looked at his calendar again and said, "Okay then, August 4th."

I wanted to jump for joy!

Not only will I have most of the month off to recuperate, but I will be able to go away for the August long weekend! All of your prayers worked! Yay!!!!

Dr. I then gave me my prescription for the L.upron and he said that we could get it filled up the street and then he would give me the shot. I had no idea until I visited two pharmacies (and one of them called St. Michael's Hospital to see if they had it too) that my dose of L.upron isn't commonly in stock. So we hightailed it back to the office to tell Dr. I and to ask him a couple of questions about the next surgery. He told me that he's going to remove the endo by excision and he will also be burning it off as well. He also mentioned that although my fallopian tubes are clear, they're twisted from the adhesions. He told me not to worry and that he was going to do the surgery right and that we'd be "good to go" afterwards. I didn't get to ask him about what he does for adhesion prevention, but I'll be seeing him next month so he can see how I am on the drug.

I really hope that my local pharmacy can get the L.upron before the walk-in clinic in the same plaza closes. The doctor that works at the walk-in is really nice and I've been to see her to get my asthma medications renewed since my GP has drastically reduced her office hours. The pharmacist (who knows us way too well!) said that she's going to try a couple of sources so we could get it as soon as possible tomorrow. Honestly, is it bad that the pharmacy knows us by our first names?????

I have to get to bed. I was not very productive this evening and I have to get to school bright and early so I can finish up the marking that I brought home over the weekend.

Thanks for the prayers everyone. It was almost magical that everything worked out (aside from the lack of L.upron). Mr. JB also mentioned that we've been knocked around by circumstance lately and that we deserved a couple of breaks!

p.s. I didn't end up having to go to B.abies R Us. I got gifts for the preggos at C.ostco and the drug store! Yay!

9 comments:

  1. Hooray! Sounds like you got some great news! I'm so glad that you have a plan and that you got the date you wanted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great! I guess you start the bowel prep on August 3????

    I got your text yesterday but I was way too busy having a hormone crash to get back to you! I was relieved for you though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so great! And tempting for me to just have a surgery and see what happens, oh gosh will I ever loose the hope of a natural pregnancy? ??

    What does are you on - 3.75 once a month or the 1 dose lasts 3 months kind? Glad that it's all working out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sew: i guess i start the bowel prep on the 3rd and the doctor mentioned something about a liquid diet the day before. no problem, i'll bring jello for the plane ride home!!!!


    duck: i'm on the one shot for three months. i'm so relieved that it's just one needle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news, JB! So glad the timing will all work out, and that you have some peace of mind regarding the Lupron recommendation.

    I hope this makes the summer a bit more relaxing and fun, Lupron side effects aside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! So glad you got the day you wanted. He seems like such a good doctor! You are in good hands! Plus we are all praying for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the pharmacy stuff is working out! And, glad you got your surgery when you wanted it! I hope the Lupron helps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY for August 4th!!! Hey, you can do your enema at the cabin!! Wouldn't THAT be fun???!!!

    I'm so happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad that everything worked out like you had hoped.

    By now, you could be full of Lupron. I hope that the next few months aren't too bad.

    And I am happy you still get to go on your trip!!

    ReplyDelete