25 August 2009

Three

I'm feeling a little pressure to get my act together.

I'm three weeks post-op and feeling pretty good. I even made potato and leek soup yesterday (with Mr. JB peeling the potatoes)! I even drove myself to the naturopath today.

I don't know if it has to do with recovery or just laziness, but I have no desire to even think about going back to work. It doesn't help that I have to help give a workshop tomorrow. I really shouldn't worry since I'm talking about teaching grade one French immersion. I'm responsible for talking about the Math, Religion and Family Life curricula. I don't really stress out about all things teaching, especially since the three things that I have to talk about have really good teacher manuals.

I'm starting to feel a little bit anxious about going back to work. Although my energy levels have steadily been improving, I'm worried that I may be overdoing it. By September 8th I will be 5 weeks post-op. I bought a stool with wheels from I.kea last week so I don't have to walk between the groups of kids. I also know that if I'm subdued that the kids will be as well. Perhaps it will be a blessing in disguise that I'm going to be a little low on energy! I'm thinking that I may have to take some sick days in order to cope with the transition.

Then again, when I took the almost two weeks off for my last surgery I felt like I was going to lose my mind! Maybe being with the kiddies will help with my recovery. I do have to admit that I am starting to get excited about the new school year, I just have to get back into work mode.

I am noticing a few good things since my surgery. I haven't started back on the supplements that my naturopath prescribed me and I've been feeling pretty good. The biggest improvement is my digestion. I suspect that a lot of my colitis issues were going to be resolved with my surgery, and I have noticed such a difference. I even made my potato and leek soup with butter yesterday and I felt fine! I didn't even take any digestive enzymes!

My naturopath and I talked about her plans for my treatment once I get my period. She wants to continue with the liver cleanse that she put me on since I was on pretty heavy duty medications in the hospital. I don't think that I've ever been that drugged in my entire life! Before surgery I would only take painkillers when absolutely necessary. I haven't taken any of the prescription stuff in a while, but I have had to take A.dvil here and there. So Dr. A wants me to take flax seed and Evening Primrose Oil to help with egg development and my uterine lining.

I never thought that I would ever think this, but I can't wait until I get my period! I don't think that I've ever anticipated my period this much since before I started puberty! It will be interesting to see how much pain I will have. And yes, there's that TTC business that we can start...

One last thing: my massage therapist told me about a new organic grocery store not too far from my house and we went yesterday. I was like a kid in a candy store! There were so many gluten-free products! I even got gluten-free cinnamon buns! It wasn't cheap, but I got so many things that I could eat. It was cheaper than our local organic market and their selection was incredible. Not as great as the grocery store that Living Advent and I went to, but pretty close!

p.s. I've been searching high and low for some sort of compression bandage that I can put on my incision. I found something at the pharmacy where I picked up my last dose of L.upron, but I assumed (wrong) that I could find something at one of my local pharmacies. My mom brought me some supportive underwear, but it still doesn't have enough support. Do any of you have any advice of what I can use? I think that I may invest in a B.ella B.and, but I'm not feeling too happy about going to a maternity store to get one.

11 comments:

  1. Wow that's exciting about the new health food store!!!

    Once the steri-strips fell off, I would just use band-aids to hold the skin together so it wouldn't pull ...
    but my scars never looked too pretty after healing so my advice probably isn't the best !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you check the website I sent you? Mine is on there. It's called an abdominal binder. It's great! Well, it can be annoying and itchy, but it does its job! And luckily I didn't have to look for one. I woke up with it on!

    If you go on the website, just type "abdominal binder" into the search thing and it's the first one that pops up. I don't know if they sell them near you or if you can order online, but it says on the website that you can email them for more information. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and here's the website again: www.deroyal.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear that you are feeling pretty good and excited for the start of school. The new health food store sounds awesome. I wish we had more options here. I hope that your stomach issues continue to be minimal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you do decide to go the bella band route, I am more than happy to pick one up for you.

    I think the first few weeks back at school will be exhausting. By the time you get home, you will probably be done for the day. Can you stockpile frozen meals and stuff like that so you don't have to cook?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad that you are feeling better, I was so hoping that you would feel better digestively - but i didn't want to get your hopes up! All that endo gone means that your body is less toxic (I am sooo looking forward to having a surgery!).
    ANd new grocery store, fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fantastic health food store! My friend came for breakfast this morning (from out of town) and she's on a gluten free, minimal dairy diet. I made omelettes with onions, mushrooms and spinach as well as banana buckwheat pancakes (made with almond milk) with strawberries and blueberries on top. She had two helpings of each, so I think she liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are going to do great at work and with the kids. Just rest at night and on the weekends. Glad you found a new store, I am sucker for a good natural food store, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you're feeling better and continuing to heal! I can totally understand why you're nervous about the beginning of school so soon after your surgery. I will say prayers that it is a smooth transition for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you get to enjoy some gluten-free goodness! It's amazing what you can get nowadays.

    Can you set up a couple long weekends toward the beginning of the school year? So you can rest up without getting cabin fever? That might work well, instead of taking a big block of time...

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sound like you're doing really well. I think the wheeled stool and low energy approach will work!

    Hehe, I don't think I've been excited for my period since puberty either.

    Thanks so much for all your comments while I've been in the middle of my crazy move!

    ReplyDelete