7 May 2012

Blogger Inspiration

I've written before about my struggles with self-image. I've definitely taken it easy exercise-wise since my surgeries, but now that I'm feeling like my old self, I've noticed something.

My clothes aren't quite fitting they way they should.

I know that I'm older than 35 (ouch), that my metabolism isn't what it was when I was in my 20's -- when I could eat like a horse, barely exercise and barely push 100lbs.

Oh man, those were the days.

I put on a pair of pants that I haven't worn since before the winter and they were snug. And not just by a little bit.

I know that I can ramp up my exercise routine. The once a week aquafit class and one strenuous yoga class aren't enough (particularly when I miss two weeks in a row).

So I had the bright idea of starting to jog with Mr. JB.

He's been told to lose weight and reduce his cholesterol and he's been walking (although not as regularly as he should). Our family doctor has given him three months. We live in an area full of parks and trails, so running is something that we could do easily AND it wouldn't cost anything (yoga and aquafit aren't free!).

But I hate running.

I used to do it while I was still in school. I would jog with one of my roommates, I would run on the treadmill and the elliptical and I dreaded every moment.

I ran for a few years and when I gave it up I was so happy -- I never experienced the runner's high that I've heard so many talk about.

I am hoping that having a partner to run with, particularly one who has specific fitness goals, is going to help me (have I mentioned that I'm competitive? I'd love to be able to beat Mr. JB in a run!). I also know that I need to do something else physical because I have been so stressed out -- I'm one of those people that have excess energy and I need to do something constructive with it!

So, I'm going to take baby steps. Rebecca totally inspired me this morning when I read her post. I would love to be able to run 5kms without falling over dead!

I'm trying to push the thoughts of "What if I get pg?" "Is it dangerous to TTC while jogging?"

[Goodness, maybe I should Goo.gle that!]

Right now, this jogging plan feels right. And knowing that it will help me get back into shape is definitely the best motivator.

I know that I'll never be a swimsuit model (particularly after all of the crazy scars on my belly), but I'd like to say goodbye to the unnecessary cushioning! It's not the kind of big belly I want right now!


22 comments:

  1. Once you get into it, jogging can be fun. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A suggestion - you and Mr Belly should take a learn to run course at running room. I often find people that hate running go out too hard to start. If you ease into it (particularly with a class of people in the same boat as you) you may like it a lot more. :) Man, I wish you lived closer, we could totally run together! I need to get back into at least light running too... and running while in early pg is fine - most of the people I know that got pg super fast are serious runners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think running sounds like a great idea! Plus it'd be a good bonding experience with Mr. JB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited to read this! Try the Couch to 5K program (if you have an iPhone or iPod touch you can download an app and it can run in the background so you can listen to music too) it's awesome b/c it tells you when to run and when to walk and builds you up to a 5k over 8 - 10 weeks. Totally fun to do with a buddy as well.

    Also, it isn't recommended that you start exercising when you are pg, but if you are exercising prior to conceiving, you can continue...I ran a 5k last year and there was a girl who was 6 months pregnant running it. She had an awesome shirt that said "___miles together" and it started with 3 and was crossed out and I think the biggest number was well over 100.

    One more suggestion - sign up for Daily Mile - it's a social networking site about exercise, great for motivation and goal setting!

    And I hear you on the clothes not fitting...that was why I started the Couch to 5k the first time :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip!!! I'm totally gonna get that ap!

      Delete
    2. I'm gonna get that app too ... And try this running stuff. :-)

      Delete
    3. Who makes the app? I see a lot of developers and a lot of different Couch to 5k apps ...

      Delete
  5. This post is definitely giving me motivation! Maybe we could all find a 5k that's scheduled for the same date and sign up...obviulsly since we are all spread out we wouldn't be running the same one but at least at the same time! Just a thought....

    I've definitely been thinking its time to lace up my running shoes again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck, JB! And FMTP, I love that idea!

    I hate running, but Husband used to run back in school, and I've been wondering lately if maybe I could convince him to exercise with me, as we both need to become less slothful. I still don't want to run, but with you starting and Rebecca sharing about it, I'm feeling the urge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate running (it hurts my shins), so I just walk fast. hee hee. I heard of a friend of a friend who was training for a marathon and got pregnant in the middle of it. So, I say, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. JB - If we were closer, I'd be your running partner if Mr. JB couldn't. I don't get the runners high either from running, but know it's good exercise for us 35+.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE running!! So excited you are getting started.... Having a buddy to run with is the best.... so motivating. And you are right.... one of my most favorite things about running is that all you have to do is put on your shoes and walk out the door.... you don't have to drive anywhere, pay anything, or be on time for the start of it. As far as running while pregnant goes, it shouldn't hurt, especially if you start running before you get pregnant. Some studies actually show that children of fit active women who run while pregnant are smarter than women who don't! If you are at all worried you could get a heart rate monitor just to make sure you don't overdo it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm just getting back into running too. The only thing that gets me going is my iTunes music....cranked up on high and the songs have to be fast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I dont' believe in exercising! :) LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with GIMH...the good tunes are a must! I have argued with myself for years about whether I should be running while TTC. I have asked several doctors and I have never been told to quit running. I often do lower impact exercise during the 2WW however...just in case :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know the answer to one of those questions. Jogging in no way interferes with ttc (any more than your yoga does - it's just aerobic exercise). If you take up a jogging routine and then get pregnant, you can keep running - the level of exercise to which your body was already accustomed will not present a problem. (Whereas if you start a demanding new fitness routine after you get pregnant, that could be too much.) I'm sure there are some exercise programs that you'd have to quit if you got pregnant, even if you had been doing them before - I'm thinking ultramarathoning, contact sports, maybe professional-level gymnastics - but just jogging is good for you.

    Wish my husband would run with me (he's a solo runner). Have fun, and good luck!

    Oh, yeah. And I'd have happily taken your "over 35" figure when I was 25!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you start feeling the running love - I really enjoy getting outside, no music, just the trails and the sights and my own thoughts. I also like having a buddy to talk to. Taking a beginner's class, or maybe the beginner's app, is a great idea also. I never expected to enjoy running but I did! I hope you will too. In fact, I often still don't want to go for a run but I'm always glad when I do go - not that I have been running regularly for, oh, at least a year now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its only 'dangerous' is your working out so hard that you cannot talk while running. You should be kinda out of breath but not to a degree of not being able to get a sentence out. Keep up jogging, so good for stress relief and I agree with the above statements, the running room does a great workshop. I hope all is well, I have been neglecting my blogging butI have been lurking in the background so I thought it was time to write.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The couch to 5k really works, i started it in November 2010, running 30 second stretches, it was so had, and painful, and then I stuck with it, 2 weeks ago I finished my first half marathon. I went from hating it to addicting to running!

    As for pregnancy, well I know someone who tried for years and years,and did a couple ivfs. After her last failed ivf she took up running, training hard for a half marathon, and after a few months, got pregnant. She finished the race 7 months pregnant :).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job, This content is very very great content, I got really good information from this content and it helps me a lot, I hope it can help many people like me.
    dragon mart carpets abu dhabi


    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing such important information. It will be very useful for us in future. Good keep it up and keep writing. Read more about
    wooden flooring suppliers in dubai

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job, This content is very very great content, I got really good information from this content and it helps me a lot, I hope it can help many people like me.
    carpet mats in abu dhabi

    ReplyDelete