2 September 2008

What have I gotten myself into???

One down, 193 to go.

I apologize in advance if this entry makes no sense.

Let me preface this with the fact that I've been a teacher since 1999. I've taught university aged students to pre-schoolers on two continents. But I've never, ever been this tired after one day of school.

One school day with twenty-two six year olds wore me out!

Not only was a attacked by way too many eager parents this morning in the school yard, but I spent more time refereeing little kid behaviour than teaching! I've got a couple of firecrackers that I am sure that are going to make me hoarse on a regular basis and some kids that had no idea that they were in a French Immersion class, let alone a school!

Griping aside, the kids were pretty cute! I've never held hands with students while walking down the hall and I've never had kids fight to get to the front of the line so they could be beside me! I had a couple of little girls give me compliment my clothes, hair, necklace and shoes (they were invading my personal space, but hey, they're six!).

I'm definitely going to miss students that are independent and that don't need me to do everything for them. I also think that the tattle telling is also going to get on my nerves, but nothing can beat the excited little faces that greeted me this morning. The kiddies thought that it was pretty funny when I put up my hand too when I asked who was nervous and scared to come to school. And there are already a couple of kids that I want to hide in my briefcase and take home!

I do know that I'm going to have to go to bed at least two hours earlier since I had to take a nap after school in order to speak in coherent sentences.

My goal for tomorrow is to teach my class not to call me Miss Madame and to keep the kids from eating their lunch at snack time.

Baby steps, yes?

8 comments:

  1. Miss Madame has a cute ring to it!

    When I saw the post, with 193 at the top, I was hoping I was going to be reading about a beta. Sigh. I hope to be soon, Miss Madame. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh! You're really making me miss the Kindergarten classroom :( Welcome to early Elementary Ed- the land of perpetual shoe tying. (I often felt that half my day was spent tying shoes.)

    You'll be great. It's a really good sign already that the kids love you so much :) Enjoy every minute of it, because while tiring, it is SOOO worth it to make such a strong impression on these youngin's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On behalf of parents everywhere just exactly like that, I'm so sorry.

    To be honest, I'm like the really bad parent who stayed and spied on a teacher like you and my kid through the window because I missed him so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think switching age groups is very exhausting, but I'm sure you'll adjust soon and do a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww that is so cute! I'm sure once you get past the initial bits it will be lots of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you got your hands full!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! Those kids sound sooo cute! This entry brought a huge smile to my face! Your job sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning, Fantastic its looks so astounding. Much obliged to you for sharing this article and keep doing awesome. Carpet Abu Dhabi

    ReplyDelete