5 May 2009

$1120.09

The most expensive needle that I've even gotten in my life.

I knew that it was going to be expensive. The doctor warned me when I was still in the hospital, post-lap. But I was still taken aback (as in when I saw the price come up on the register, I had to take a deep breath before I handed over my credit card). Thank God for insurance!!!!

Like I mentioned yesterday, I have a pretty friendly relationship with my pharmacy. They got the L.upron early in the afternoon so I was able to race over after school, pick up the goods and go to the walk-in to get injected AND I was on time for 5 o'clock yoga!!!

The doctor was pretty surprised when I told her how much the medication cost. She said that she had never injected L.upron before and that it was definitely the most expensive drug that she ever had to administer. The injection stung and I was pretty nervous when I saw how HUGE the needle was. It was at least 8 cm (almost 3 inches), or perhaps my memory is just exaggerating the enormity!

So I don't know if I feel anything besides my sore right bum cheek. My fingers felt a little tingly when I was driving to the yoga studio, but I think it was just because I was so worked up from the needle-getting anticipation. I'm pretty tired right now, but it may be because I didn't get to sleep until almost 11:30pm last night and Mr. JB's snoring kept waking me up (which is rare since I usually sleep like the dead and I wake him up during the night because of my snoring!).

Will the menopause symptoms just start or will it be something that's going to be gradual? I'm at the tail end of my period and I don't know if I should expect it to just stop. I really hope that I don't lose my mind in the next three months -- perhaps I should ask our basement contractors to add a padded room for me!

p.s. Mr. JB surprised me at the walk-in this afternoon. He said that he knew that I would be so scared from the needle so he wanted to make sure that I was okay. He's the best!

p.p.s. I realized this evening that since I'm not charting until post-surgery #2 that I can wear whatever underpants I want. I have a vast collection of underthings (I lived in France folks, it became quite the addiction!) and I haven't been able to wear any of the fancy, lacy, non-sensible not 100% cotton items in over a year. Perhaps enduced menopause does have its benefits!!!

p.p.p.s. Although the price tag was high, the injection that I got is going to last for three months. Praise God, Jesus, Mary and all the angels in heaven! I really don't want to have to repeat that experience. Ever.

13 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! Post your pretties! I have to see what non cotton underware look like!

    Will your insurance cover the lupron? OMG! That is insane! I am confused is that for just one month?

    I am hoping to get my issues cleared up before the end of July. :) But sounds like if I don't, I will have great company! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to stop by and thank you so very, very much for being such a dedicated online friend. It means more to me than you can ever know. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget that lupron will initially surge your estrogen, then, slowly taper off. So, any pain you have MAY increase at first. I don't remember how quick my symptoms were. My main ones were mood swings and some hot flashes. I was a real b*tch on that drug!

    Did you get the 3 month dosage or 1?

    Good luck! And, I hope you will get reimbursed some for the meds! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I do remember I had to get three shots, and insurance covered all but $25 for each one. That is awesome you only have to get ONE shot!

    Keep us updated on your symptoms. I don't remember it being TOO awful :)

    You are on your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll be fine!! I made it through and I'd totally do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. That's quite expensive. My lupron shots were going to be somewhere between $300 and $350 (I actually did only one of the two, and that really was the price). It was the price WITHOUT insurance, I note, because my plan didn't cover it (for whatever reason). I didn't get it at the pharmacy, though, it was sourced and administered at my then-OB/GYN. Perhaps that affected the cost? I would comparison-shop before your next shot, because that just sounds like too much.

    As to symptoms...well. My experience may not be representative, but it went like this. For the first two weeks after I took the shot (might have started after a day or two), I was certifiably insane. I'm not remotely kidding. Screaming, crying, hysterical hysterics, for hours, until I was physically exhausted, at small-to-medium provocation. Among other demonstrations, I took all our engagement photos (I was newly engaged, and those were the only copies we had and there were no negatives) and ripped them into tiny pieces and scattered them all over the lawn of my apartment complex. While sobbing. In, I think, a brassiere, stockings, and underpants (my husband, then my fiance, had pitched a glass of cold water on me when I started shrieking at him, so I just ripped off all my clothes. And I'm of rather modest - not to say Puritan - sensibilities). Actually, that particular event was from the 1-2 weeks when I was coming OFF the lupron, at the end of three months. Which is why I never took the second dose. But schedule your second dose for a week or so early, and you can probably get away with just two psychotic episodes total, assuming you have them at all.

    They also predict hot flashes, and I definitely got them - substantial numbers, almost every day, starting after a week or so. You know, they weren't really that bad. Distinctive, though.

    Also, you won't necessarily skip ALL your periods (my OB/GYN even predicted this). I missed one out of three, I think, but the other two were light. Technically, they probably weren't periods, because I most likely wasn't ovulating, but I did bleed cyclically, twice.

    Anyway, break out the frilly underthings. Since you come from France on that score, I'd be interested in hearing what you recommend - I am anti-thing, but I am sure there are alluring things that can be worn that are still feminine and, well, not torturous. But I'm kind of naive over here.

    Heh heh...my word verification is "cringe."

    ReplyDelete
  7. (Gee, that was long! Sorry.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, that's one pricey shot! How sweet that your husband came to the doctor's office--what a great guy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It probably works the same as other charges - the insurance company will only pay a percentage of that cost. They usually inflate charges when insurance is covering, so they look drastically different from what a cash customer will see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!! Yes thank-God for insurance coverage! I hope this time passes by really quickly for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WHAT? $1120...unbelievable! I can't imagine why that was so expensive but when you mentioned it lasts for 3 months then it sounded somewhat o.k. That shot sounded intense!!! Lucky you though ans your pretty panties. I am jealous! My granny pants are quite unattractive. haha. That was really sweet of your Dh to show up and support you...what a blessing.
    I hope your transition in to menapause is smooth. I'll be praying for you :)
    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe the pretty panties will lead to other fun stuff. ;)

    I hope your insurance pays a whole lot quicker than ours does!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh. My. God.
    $1120!!!!
    That is just nuts! SO glad that it is over and done with though.

    ReplyDelete